Friday, June 8, 2012

Cherries!

Ok, we won't start with cherries, although I am sitting here eating fresh, organic Bing Cherries...yum....excuse me for a moment...
That's better. Today started with training Annika again. Things are going well there, I think she'll do all right. More training with her on Sunday morning and then maybe she can be on her own. Little bit of everything today. Treating Odie, the horse, who tore open his shoulder on a gate latch. Jen doesn't think the sutures will hold but it takes a week to 10 days to know for sure. In the meantime, he's staying with us and needs treatment twice a day. Today I didn't help but got a picture after things were all done.
He's a really good horse too. Hope it all comes out ok. One of our many pig producers call;ed needing vaccine made up ASAP. He was already on his way and we have to mix some vaccine together and bottle and label it. Beth who usually does it has Friday's off and Pam (the second person who does pig vaccine) was doing a dental. I'm number 3 on the list so off I go. The client showed up in about 20 minutes and I was still in the middle of making it. These guys must think we're sitting around waiting for them to call to have something to do! In between the call and the appearance I had to help bring a dog in, and help euthanize it, had to also try to figure out what I was doing with this vaccine since I had never made it. The math can get quite complicated and you sure don't want to mess up as it could possibly mean the death of lots and lots of baby pigs. Here was my problem for the day - He needed 600 doses of Circo/Myco 1st dose 2cc dose. That means I had to mix 600cc of Circovent with 600cc of Mycogard Silencer ONCE using a sterile graduated cylinder and a sterile funnel and sterile bottles. With an actual dose of 2cc per pig, the total cc is 1200cc but I have actually 600 doses for him. And you have to figure out how to charge him for it (about $320). You charge for each vaccine separately then put in a Misc. charge for the actual combo, but don't charge him for it, just the separate vaccines. Phew! Makes my brain hurt! And to top it all off, I hand it to the client who looks at me (since I'm not Beth) with a look that says "Can I trust this yo-yo? Does she know what she's doing? Is this stuff the right stuff?" He does well to wonder since Pam made up the wrong stuff one time for him...Here's the lab after I finished. The vaccine is already with the client.
I really enjoy doing it, just wish I did it more often so I was sure of what I was doing!

Enough about work,Came home to water the garden - it was 89 degrees and the next two days are supposed to be 90. Very excited - the Zucchini are flowering and I only transplanted them last week, my first cherry tomato is almost ripe, the potatoes are looking good.....and one of my Aronia bushes has leaves!!!!



While I watered the plants, Anna played with some of the horses. Here's SueBee with her - however, SueBee thinks I have treats and Anna has lost her attention!

Ok, now to the cherries. The Youth For Christ fundraiser every year is fruit, and I order peaches (wonderful peaches) and pears from them every year. Usually these arrive in August and September. This year however, they added Bing Cherries to their list. I ordered a 10# box which came today! They are organic and come from Colorado. I have never bought cherries just to eat - but these are fantastic! Probably there's a fresh cherry pie in the future as well as cherry chocolate cupcakes. I hope there will be enough cherries!
And yes, this is my own picture of these cherries....

2 comments:

  1. You need to post awkward pictures of your other daughter too! I know I'm the best and most awesome- but she's the cutest! So go take pictures of her! - Love The Awesome Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps - That one didn't work. Glad to see your blog again. Wish I had a cherry. Love, your hunger mother

    ReplyDelete