Thursday, June 7, 2012

Rainbow

Leaving for work today, I watched the clouds that seemed to promise needed rain for my garden. Alas, it was not to be - but I didn't know that at the time. Just as I was turning onto the road, I saw a half rainbow. What a nice start to my day! Other people saw a double rainbow this morning but I was happy with my sliver. Rainbows are such amazing things!
Today was my busy surgery day. Only two surgeries (very unusual for a Thursday!) but I still kept very busy. The first one was a neuter/declaw cat called "Eskimo". He was very scared - had been a wild kitten all winter and was still quite distrustful. But things went fine and he will stay until tomorrow when he will get his bandages off.
The other surgery was a spay dog - a cuteie patootie named "Birdie". She is a brindle pug/Boston Terrier mix that I wanted to take home! Here's a picture of Jen spaying her:
I tried to get the whole set up in the picture, but then you can't see Birdie. She's covered with a sterile drape and hooked up to the anesthesia. Yes, I do do things - I help get the dog under (get the sedative in, the endotrachael tube down her throat, shave the area, scrub the area, and watch her breathing during surgery).

Horses in the barn today. More Percheron's in for ultrasounds to see if they are pregnant. Here's a picture of a mare ( the mother in the stocks) and her baby. Often these mares have foals at their side and the owners are trying to get the mares pregnant again - thus the term 'brood mare". That is their total job in life, to raise babies. Horses carry their young for 11 months so basically it takes a year of pregnancy to get that foal. In this particular photo, the baby is all over the barn and into everything! He took Mike's papers off the table, stuck his nose everywhere, got tangled up in Mom's lead rope....
Busy again getting boarding sheets ready for the dogs coming in tomorrow. Another fairly busy weekend in the kennel. Tomorrow I'm training my new assistant. She was here Wednesday also but I was sooooo busy, Annika was basically on her own. I hope tomorrow will be better. Also getting ready for my first dog training class that starts Monday. Yep, I will be teaching it this time - "Dog Manners 101". My first public class so there's lots to plan and think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment