I'm going to have to go backwards to catch up. Yesterday I took a half day so I could help Jacky get our bales of hay in the barn in case it decided to rain later. I wanted to leave at 12 but finally got away at 1:30. No one else seems to have this problem! One of our emergency dogs, Shelby, was due to be released at 12 and her owner wanted to know exactly who was going to be talking to them about her care. Holly told her I would so there you go! Shelby had come in Tuesday with a 'pyometra' which is an infected uterus in females who are unspayed. It is life threatening. Shelby is a 12 year old blue merle sheltie who has occaionally boarded with me so I knew her and her owners pretty well. The owner is fairly demanding and that's ok with me. Some of the other techs though have problems with that and no patience with Shelby's owner. I think I did a pretty good job calming their fears although Shelby is not out of the woods yet, We hope she does better at home.
Then there was a lot to tidy up for the weekend - boarders coming in, the charges for the cat I shaved today, just a lot of little things. I also had to call back a client who was interested in my dog training class. I told him my next one would start August 13 and he was fine with that since they were going north for a couple of weeks. He also had a friend who was interested in taking it. That makes 3 when added to the dog that came in to be boarded this morning. The poor woman had no clue how to handle a dog and her ex boyfriend had left her with a hyper hyper lab. I mentioned my class and you should have seen her jump at the chance to get control over 'Bette'. Since I would only like 6 dogs in a class, this is already half and I haven't put up a sign or anything! There is a definite need that I hope I can help fill.
Home and Jacky had already picked up all the hay bales in the field by himself. Anna is up north of St. Cloud at a horse clinic and Emma is working so I asked Sam, my kennel assistant, if she could help. Well, she beat me home and she and Jacky had already started putting the bales in the barn. I quickly changed clothes and ran out (ok, walked) to help put them on the hay elevator. It's hot work and I have the better job on bottom. Jacky has to grab the bale as it reaches the top and walk it back to the hay pile, stack it, and walk back for the next one. and there's not breeze up there! It's hot!
Usually I use the truck to pull the flat bed but Anna has it with her.
We had 109 bales today which is ok but not great. But then it doesn't take as long to put in the barn! :)
Haying is always done when it's hot. Everyone around us is also making hay...you know, "Make hay while the sun shines"!
Samantha is such a hard worker. I'd love to adopt her! She was a great help when our own daughters couldn't be there, Trixie 'helped" too. She loves hay time!
When done, we go inside for lemonade to rehydrate. Still, there's chores to do. Emma came home (delighted the hay was already done) and started getting her lambs ready for a show tomorrow. She had to wash them, then clip them. It took her and Lee, her boyfriend, 4 hours before they were done. And then they were both covered with mosquito bites. Fly spray didn't help the humans! As I went out to check on them at 10, I heard my horse SueBee splashing in her water trough. I'm sure the mosquitoes were getting to her too so she tried to drown them...
Long day, even with a nap on the sofa, I was ready for bed. The night before I kept waking up worrying about Anna up north be herself. When its hot like this, I never sleep real well anyway. Hard to imagine long time ago when the families who lived here slept on the sun porch to cool off. I'm sure there were mosquitoes then too! Give me AC and a fan anyway. Poor Anna....





No comments:
Post a Comment