Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bats

Just a quick note. Finished the day watching the bats swoop to and fro in the darkening sky. I have never understood why people fear bats so much. Maybe we should name them something prettier sounding! They take care of a great many mosquitoes for us though.! I have a bat house to put up - maybe tomorrow...
Sat and pitted 5 1/2 cups of sour cherries on the front steps tonight. There's still more on the tree but not much. I have a bowl of them in the fridge to pit and freeze unless I make a pie. Haven't finished the Bing cherry pie yet! Too much food in this house. Pitting cherries is such a relaxing activity - surrounded by dogs and cats, listening to the birds....watching the barn swallows on their paths through the air. I would have taken a picture of Lilly, my white and red barn cat , who now has a cherry juice pattern across her white coat. She insisted on laying right next to my bowl as I pitted. And those sour cherries have a LOT of juice!
The garden is needing weeding but, after the 2.8 inches the other night, it's a little muddy. It should make things jump! I got 5 cherry tomatoes before the brief rain shower that chased us all inside. When I went back out, Jacky and I  saw the second planting of beans had come up and I had a 2 inch zucchini! Looking forward to  the upcoming veggies!
Made a delicious artichoke spinach dip tonight for tomorrow's Father's Day. I hope we can take a drive tomorrow and picnic somewhere. Just been too stressful  at work lately and Anna wants me to work too much when I'm home! Started clearing out the dining room today too.
Horses really bothered by flies today - no fly spray works. When it cooled off things were better. I gave Dove the pony a Recover shot yesterday because her allergies are SO bad, she's pushed over the gate and everyone's escaped twice now. She pushed over the gate by scratching on it! She has sores all over her body from rubbing on everything. The shot seems to have helped some. I was nervous doing it - sticking an inch and a half needle in her neck and shooting in 10cc - I had given a horse vaccinations 20 years ago and left a large bump because I did it too high up on her neck. Never had the courage to try again. Hopefully I know more now and did it correctly!
Talked to Ben and Maggie on Skype this pm. They have a very nice duplex they're renting - I'm sure they are enjoying the added space!
 No pictures, too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment