Last night started it . Jacky and I went to bed like usual. Before falling asleep - or maybe waking up and hearing it, we both could hear sounds in the other room - like bumping against the wall. I thought it was Percy, the guinea pig, although he'd never made quite those sounds before. Jacky blamed Bryn, trying to figure out what she was doing.
Well, we didn't think much of it - when there's 7 dogs sleeping upstairs with you, there's always SOME noise (Magic snores - a lot). I was almost asleep when I felt a breeze blow across my face. That was odd! My mind went to supernatural things, I must admit. But Jacky spoke up and said he thought we had a bat in the room. Well, that made much more sense! We've had bats before but then we had a cat upstairs and the cat would get it for us. Now we're 'catless' upstairs so it was up to us. Of course, last night the bedside light went out so I'm trying to turn on my kindle for a little light while feeling this breeze that now I know is a bat!
Finally we get the bedroom overhead light on and this fairly large bat is making continual circles in our room! He's actually flying quite low (about head to chest height) and I must admit I kind of crouched closer to the floor.
Luckily Jacky was able to snag him with a towel and we carried him outside and let him go. This one was a larger species than the ones we've had in the house before. I believe they come in from the sunporch - the door from that room into our bedroom has some gaps but there has to be gaps from the outside into the sunporch also. I must say it was a little harder to get back to sleep last night!
Today was cleaning day. When Jacky gets in the mood, you better get out of the way! While I cleaned I transferred old VeggieTales VHS tapes to DVDs. It took all day since we have so many of those. They were such good tapes for us when the kids were younger!
I got all the windows in the family room cleaned inside and out. What a difference that makes! And outside I saw chives already about 4 inches long, and tulip leaves! Are we finally on the upswing??? I've been seeing lots of migrating birds too. Not songbirds but ducks. Last week was a pair of Bufflehead ducks -the white spot on the head of the male really catches your eye -
I've seen others too but they won't let me get close enough with my camera to take a zoom picture. Canada geese are everywhere too, and splitting off into pairs for mating. The geese and ducks love the corn fields that are finally getting exposed as the snow melts.
Last week we actually had a Bald Eagle in the tree next to the driveway. It was maybe 50 ft form me! I was trying to get my camera ready when Anna came out of the barn and scared it. It flew a little further away and I did get some pictures - but not as good as I could have before he flew! I've never seen one so close! Except at the Eagle Center in Wabasha...

Can't wait for grass to start greening up too - neither can the horses!
Wow! I would not have liked to have that bat flying around my head. What a night!
ReplyDelete