Appointment today. There were 2 draft horses in stalls in the barn, I found out they were boarding - for 2 nights. The owners were on the way from Wisconsin to Colorado and had to stop due to road conditions. They left today, even though the road conditions didn't seem that much better. Maybe they were better going south.
I spent part of the day treating 'Lewie' - and English Bulldog; Even in the best of times, Lewie is no beauty. His lower jaw protrudes from way out past his upper jaw. He's had several surgeries to repair his eyes - entropion; where the eyelids curl in towards the eye and eyelashes rub the surface of the eye. He's also allergic to everything under the sun. He gets monthly allergy shots for that.
A couple of weeks ago, Mike amputated his tail because it was also dirty and getting caught on things. Lately he's been in every other day because he's developed a skin infection and none of the antibiotics are working. Today he came in covered with scabs and sores all over his body. He also had a temp of almost 105 where a normal dog temp is 101 to 102. Diagnoses? Staph skin infection - just like people get in the hospital.
I gave Lewie a medicated bath, scrubbing as many of the scabs off as I could. You need to do that so the treatment can get to the sores. While I was scrubbing, Beth came in and asked if maybe I should have gloves on. YES! Things had happened so fast since the appointment that I hadn't really thought about it. But, since it is so contagious to people too, I got gloves on right away and constantly washed my hands after that! Here's a picture of staph in people:
Nasty, isn't it! Poor Lewie feels awful. But we put lotion on his sores, gave him fluids, and gave him drugs. By this afternoon his temp was down to 103 and he even ate some and started his weird barking. Maybe he can go home tomorrow. If his sores don't get better, Jen wants to shave the whole dog - air circulation helps heal the skin. The owners were planning on going to Padre Island in Texas on Sunday with Lewie. Not sure that's going to happen.
Lunch and Learn about Equine Vaccinations today. Talker was a vet from Missouri. He had a nice southern accent and was an excellent speaker. Then a full afternoon of appointments. Since Jacky was in Rochester I had to run home and take care of the outside animals. It makes me tired! I suggested to Jacky to try to get home before dark and so he left early and was home by 7:45 instead of 9 or 10. Thankfully we all got everywhere safely today. It's the third coldest March on record - and the first day of spring!
I know, you're asking, why are there penguin pictures on this blog? It's because this is what spring looks like in Antarctica and it's where I want to go. I don't think the weather would be that different there than here this year!
The boys (kittens) got neutered today. They're all goofy and needy tonight. I wish they'd just curl up somewhere and sleep it off! Most of this blog I'm typing without being able to see the keyboard! Oops, just caught Sambo trying to eat a raw egg he must have stolen off the kitchen counter. Don't know how he got up there without falling down. And yes, he had opened the egg so I had to wipe up the yolk. I think it's time to put them in their cage and all of us go to bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment