Monday, March 18, 2013

Blizzard

What is it about Mondays that bring on the ice and snow??? For several weeks now it's been tricky driving in to work on this day of the week. Today was no exception. Snow started falling, and blowing, around 4:00 am. I'd like to say I wasn't awake to find out but Willie started barking in his crate. He's gotten in the bad habit of doing that almost every morning. I'm going to have to break down and buy a no-bark collar for him. The kids will appreciate it when they are home for Easter!
Anyway I've got GiGi who can get through anything ( as evidenced by the dirt road we drove on earlier in the week when it was all mud). Eventually we saw a car or two go by while watching from the kitchen window. I do like to have someone else's tracks to follow - just in case I can't tell where the road is. Here's the view going in to work...

3 Mar 18 On way to work

Not too bad actually. You can see the fingers and blobs of snow on the road but the snow wasn't deep. Work was super slow. With the blizzard, no one was calling for appointments or surgeries or questions. No one was stopping in for stuff. We had only one doctor - Tom is still gone, Mike is in Montana on vaction, Jen doesn't work on Monday or Tuesdays. Dennis is it, and his knee has been giving him loads of pain, even though he had ACL surgery done a few weeks ago. Even the boarding dogs weren't getting picked up. So, after spending the morning cleaning out my drawer, I decided to go home, especially since the weather was supposed to get a lot worse in the afternoon. Here's my car when I went out to leave. Granted, I have had a lot more snow on my car at work, but not this year. There is quite a bit of ice and wet under the snow but look at the snow around the tires. It's been blowing in around the base of the car all morning.
4 Mar 18 Lunchtime

Now here's the road on the way home:

7 Mar 18 On way home

As you can see, the road is getting worse - more snow blowing across and it's melting and freezing again on the surface. At least the visibility is still ok, although by the time Jacky came home at 6, you couldn't see much at all. Thankfully I was home!

Spent the afternoon doing more slides and transferring a VHS to DVD. Also looking outside once in a while to admire the blizzard. It's always nice to be home when there's a storm going on. When the children were home I always worried about them driving in the storms. Today though, Jacky was in the truck and, while I still worry a little, it's not like with the kids. Here's the view outside:

8 Mar 18 Blizzard at home

This picture is deceptively calm. It is protected  though and doesn't allow you to hear the wind howling.


10 Mar 18 Blizzard at home

This one gives a little better idea - you can see the snow being blown around! Funny - none of the animals wanted to be outside today!


No comments:

Post a Comment