Thursday, April 11, 2013

What happened?

Ok, where did Spring go? This was the picture from my car this early morning:

DSCN2511

By the way, that is slush in the left hand corner of my windshield. What a mess! Luckily the temps warmed up during the day and the roads dried off. Whew! I was afraid it would really be bad this evening but it turned out fine.
Not a good day at work. And that's an understatement. Soooo I splurged and had a McDonald's for lunch - haven't done that in weeks. And tonight was the rest of that hot chili from last night and with it I decided to have a beer to relax the ol' tense muscles.
On the way home I passed another wet area in a field and ended up turning around and taking a few pictures. Here's the best one, at maximum zoom:

DSCN2516

What I think I see out there is Whistling Swans - there were about 8 or 9. I don't know my swans that well but there aren't very many to choose from. Here's a better, closer picture from the internet:


I also think I see Northern Shoveler Ducks. I look for the chestnut (or rufous) color on the sides. Dennis also told me today a friend had been seeing these in fields so I'm probably right. Again, here's a better internet picture. In my picture above, look in the lower right corner for a male and female.


Ooh I wish I had a super good camera with a long long zoom lens.... I can barely make out colors in my photo, certainly not the wonderful shovel bills these guys have. Maybe some day... We're getting a lot of birds migrating north and they may not normally be seen here. It's exciting!
Dennis has been seeing flocks of bluebirds in his yard for the past week. They eat his high bush cranberries (of which I have some bushes) and , he thinks, box elder bugs along the house. I haven't been able to lure bluebirds here yet so I am very jealous. Anyone want to trade starlings for bluebirds???

1 comment:

  1. I wondered about you and the roads this week. I am so tired of being in my house. I hope to mail Gretchen's coat Monday, if it is hers (have not heard from her). Doesn't sound like a good day to go to church tomorrow either.

    ReplyDelete