Sunday, May 20, 2012

Solar Eclipse!

Sunday. Starting out working the kennels. It was nice and cool today - quite a difference from the last few days. Today though I decided to shave my llama. Oh no! not something I look forward to. Llamas are not very cooperative when it comes to 'grooming'. But Emma had already done Gitana - given her the 'barrel' cut, which is our show cut. I, however, was going to give Will the works - shave down completely. I was open to the idea of doing a little bit at a time. You never quite know how it's going to go. Llamas aren't super dangerous (spit is just yucky) but they tend to kick and that can leave quite a nice bruise (ask Anna). Will usually is pretty good until you try to shave his stomach or his legs. And catching them in the first place can be tricky.
I manages to convince all the llamas to go into the horse barn and then into stalls. From there it becomes the 'llama dance'  as you try to move in tandem with your animal as he attempts to elude you. Eventually he figures you aren't going away and allows you to put the halter on.
Will did pretty good. For the first time I shaved his whole body and neck. So he looks a little weird but will be so much cooler. Jack will be done too when Anna gets home.





I did get a little bit planted - onions and potatoes. Jacky's been too busy to till the garden until recently. And our garden does not stay 'clean' at all - it's not nearly as nice as the one I had in Arkansas. But every spring I still hope things will be different this year. Earlier today I picked some rhubarb and made a crisp. It is so good! My older plant died last year but my coworker gave me a few starts. They're really just babies but I managed to cut a few stalks.
Tonight was the solar eclipse. We were almost too busy to notice but Jacky remembered at the last minute. We tried looking at a reflection on white paper but it didn't work at all. Finally Jacky got his welding mask and - presto! - perfect viewing! Ok, we look funny too - but hey, it works!




I didn't get a photo of the eclipse but here's what it looked like - (this is in Kansas - we didn't have the building and the windmill)

PHOTO: The sun sets behind a barn and windmill on Sunday, May 20, 2012, southwest of Ellis, Kans, during a partial solar eclipse.

2 comments: