Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rain!

Finally rain. We were Soooo dry! Jacky and Anna got the hay in yesterday just in time - 39 bales is all. Because we were so dry, the hay didn't grow.
Today was my busy Thursday. This is Memorial weekend coming up so I have loads of work to do with the kennel. We have only a couple of spots open for the weekend and dogs are coming in every day. I have to get paperwork ready, check dogs in, check their vaccination history, record their belongings, figure out the best kennels to put them in (noisy dogs at one end, quiet at the other), give vaccinations when needed...and that's in addition to the other vet tech jobs I do.
Yesterday I started training in a new assistant. She's a high school sophomore so I hope to have her a couple of years. I absolutely hate hiring new kids. It's usually their first job and they don't have the social skills, experience, knowledge...... Annika probably didn't say more than 5 words to me in 2 1/2 hours. We'll see how it goes.
My one surgery was a dog spay. However it was unusual in that the dog was 6 weeks pregnant! A dog carries puppies (is pregnant) for only 8 weeks so she was very far along. I must confess I enjoy these types because I love to see the fetuses and how they develop. Of course it's a little sad too but this dog should NEVER have gotten pregnant. There's no homes for the good ones and this dog was not a great dog - serious overbite, hyper hyper hyper, owner clueless....There were 8-10 puppies that would have been born in 2 weeks. Mother dog not up to date with vaccinations (and he didn't want them updated) so there's a good chance the puppies would have died young from parvovirus or another disease.
If you're squeemish, don't look:

Here's a picture of Dennis spaying the mother dog:
Here's the mother dog recovering:
 Another drop-off was 'Crux", a retired police dog. He's a good shepherd - but can be a little stubborn at times. His handler/owner, Mark, had to learn command in a different language because the dog was trained in Poland I think! One time Crux had to be sent to the Veterinary School at the University of MN. He had eaten a bunch of matress and had "foreign body" surgery. He made it though! Now he was here because his elbow keeps filling up with fluid. I tried to get a picture of the fluid gushing out but Jen had already drained it before I could get back with my phone:

Ok. that's all the gross pictures for now. Time for bed. I'll try to play catch up this weekend but I have to work clinic and kennel.
I have to end with a nicer picture than these though.....let's see: Rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment