The day starts with going outside to give Rudy his medicine and let him into the pasture. I also open the chicken door for the first time this year. They were a little hesitant but came out to enjoy the sunshine, dirt baths, and especially the grass!
While I was out, the dogs and I weeded the asparagus bed. Emma and Lee had picked a bunch yesterday but, hmmm, left all the weeds! Actually it was quite enjoyable as there were no mosquitoes yet, it wasn't hot, it wasn't cold....wish gardening was always that nice. Then I had 10 brand new Arbor Day trees that came in the mail yesterday. They needed to get in dirt fast so I pulled out some large pots and dirt and got to work. All the trees but the blue spruce looked like twigs.It's always fun to watch them green up and grow. They don't all make it unfortunately but it's fun to try. I have 3 trees that survived the winter. I still have them in pots and kept them in the garage in bags filled with leaves. There's a arrowwood virburnum, crabapple, and washington hawthorne. It's time to plant them in the yard now. Two have survived for 2 years now - they're in the vegetable garden and need to be transplanted. problem - I don't know what kind they are!
I also went to Owatonna today and had loads of fun in Fleet Farm picking out bird feeders, bird seed, suet...
With the pocket book empty and the car full, I went home to put everything out. So exciting!!!!! Here's just one of my new feeders -
The orioles have stuck around but I'm not sure they like the jelly feeder so close to the house. So I bought a new one and put it way out in the front yard where the one was last year. I also bought a bat house for the bats that use our barn. We love bats here so I'm excited to put up an actual house.
Had to fill up the horse water trough again. While waiting for the water, I watched the barn swallows swoop everywhere. Willie loves this time - he chases (herds?) the swallows all over the pasture. These are the 'scouts', the others should arrive soon and start building their mud nests in the barns.
| Barn swallows
There was also one of the Baltimore Orioles trying to get a drink from the trough I was filling. He would not stay for a picture although I waited for a long time (while the water was flowing over). I also took a few pictures of the animals (of course). My favorite has to be Will who was absolutely sure my cell phone was a treat in disguise!
|
.jpg)






thanks,lori. two more good "stories"
ReplyDelete