Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Home on Tuesday

Kerry working on hind feet of Brandy
Yea! I get t o sleep in, until the alarm goes off at 7. Today is farrier day, when all the horses get their toenails done. This happens every 8-9 weeks so it's about time. I have 7 horses and Kerry usually doesn't do all of them at a time because of his fantastic trimming style - "Natural Balance". Trimming  a natural way enables the horses to go for long periods of time without trims. I put the ponies inside last night so I could catch them, and Jacky put the horses up this morning before he left for work. All I had to do was walk the ponies over to the horse barn so everyone would be in one place.
Rudy took a while since he has foundered and has been having a relapse. It means his hooves have grown too much and needs attention. Piper was not the best behaved (surprise, surprise) since she's always cranky in the morning. But she was the second most important one since she has a big horse event on Saturday. Her mother, SueBee who's a clutz, almost fell over on top of Kerry (she has trouble standing on 3 feet). Other than that everything went well although it took all of 4 hours!
Kerry and SueBee
After Kerry leaves, I go in to have lunch with Jacky. Unfortunately I haven't had time to make my chicken and rice so we both have to scrounge for something. Leftover pizza anyone? Then it's back outside to clean stalls while I still smell like horse. It was a little cool and we did have rain showers but there were things to do. I finally pushed the geese outside. They've been sitting on slowly rotting eggs (not fertile) for about 2 months so I figured it was time to get them out. Armed with a broom and lots of help (???) from the dogs, I managed to push all 4 out of the bin they stay in. Only one egg in the nest - I threw it against the barn wall where it exploded with a horrendous stench. One way or another it would have exploded.

Later on I realized the smell of rotten egg was following me around the farm. Lo and behold, Gertie had been over cleaning up that awful stuff and gotten it on her. To the shower we go! Really, she looks too cute to get in this kind of trouble...





Just so you see what it looks like at my front door, I'm including a picture I took today before I went inside. Of course there's a bunch more animals out of sight just waiting for me to call them inside...

And one last look at the allium blooming by the front door. I have so few flowers that bloom that I have to capture each one so I can remember.

















1 comment:

  1. I like when you take pictures! Keep up the good work, I mean with your blog. I check every morning.

    ReplyDelete