Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monday, Monday

In early to open up since Holly has the flu. I thought about bringing Sam in to be put down but I couldn't do it. I knew we would be short doctors - that Dennis would be the only one in clinic and for emergencies. So not only do techs take vacations at the same time - so do the vets! and without doctors for surgeries and appointments, there isn't as big a need for techs.
But, being Monday morning, the phone rang off the hook. busy, busy all morning. The afternoon slowed down somewhat, plus emily stole my place at the front desk, so I didn't have as much to do.One interesting animal came in though. Jamie Tennison brought in an injured owl! She thought it had gotten hit by the train in town, but it was in really bad shape. It was missing a wing and was really tore up. Luckily Dennis was there and not busy so he sedated it and then euthanized it.

Such huge eyes! It looked like it was a owl like this one, with the little ear tuffs. If I had more time, I would find out what kind. At least we could do something about his suffering.

Not too much else at work. But when I came home, I noticed a bird hovering over the ditch. It was very striking in coloration and I had seen it before and wondered what it was. This evening it actually landed and let me take pictures of it from the car...


Of course I looked it up as soon as I could - it's a Bobolink! A member of the blackbird family, it nests in hayfields and places like that. The song is just incredible. I will try here to post a link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXIrXiyW6o. 
Let me know if this works. Just click on the link to go to You Tube and listen. It's about 4 minutes long, 
Be sure to listen to the whole thing. If it doesn't work, google Bobolink song and this is one that will come 
up. Just incredible! We are so lucky to live in a world with so many fascinating and beautiful creatures.


No comments:

Post a Comment