It's been a busy few days since we got back from Europe. Helped Anna move in, then to Duluth to help Aren move in. Work a day, then day off.
First was Kerry the farrier here for the horses feet. Everyone was good and I took off Doves thick mane so she'd be cooler. She looks like a different pony now!
Lunch with Jacky first, then a break to let the food settle. No big lunch since I was out with the horses. Still, it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed being outside.
After Jacky got home, I took the time to shave a llama. They don't cooperate very well but I started with Gitana since she's supposed to stay with me. When she got fed up with the clippers, she started clicking her teeth at me so I decided to quit for the day. Clicking can lead to spitting so you better be listening!
The llamas hadn't been let in the barn for a while and you can tell Will missed his water trough!
They may not want to drink from it but it sure cools off Will. Jacky decided it was finally dry enough to till up the garden. The weeds were getting out of control. Here you can see how big the rhubarb has gotten while we were gone!
Everyone's behind in planting. Some farmers have not gotten all their corn planted, some still trying to get soybeans in. There hasn't been such a wet spring/ summer in recent memory. Who could guess we'd be tilling the garden June 18? I got a few tomato plants in as well as broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and yellow squash. Had to wait until we came back from Europe. With rain every day though, the plants should do well. I still have some sweet potato slips to get in.
The other thing that's way behind is hay! We can't seem to find 3 dry days in a row to cut our hay. They are cutting south of us but the forecast is for rain the next 7 days. You have to make hay while the sun shines...and it's not shining. Meanwhile the standing hay gets taller and more stems, which is not as nutritious and doesn't taste as well either.






No comments:
Post a Comment