Sunday, June 23, 2013

Busy weekend

Had to work this Saturday. Very busy with boarders coming and going, appointments, things to get ready for clients...
Karla's daughter 'Kelsi' has a job I would love to have. There is a turtle farm in Iowa that has multiple ponds where snapping turtles live. Kelsi and others get to spend a month digging up turtle eggs! Someone marks the nests, or distrubed areas, on the pond banks first thing in the morning and teh workers have to carefully dig up the nests and place each egg in the same position it was in, in a bucket. The eggs are taken to incubators where the turtles hatch. I believe they feed them out a little and then ship them to China where they are fed up and used for food.
Snapping turtle laying eggs








Once I saw newly hatched snapping turtles crawling along a path at the Minnesota Zoo. They weren't part of an exhibit, just wild. So cute when babies, but boy are they ugly as adults. The kids and I came across a huge adult crossing the road years ago. It was right on a curve and I didn't want him to get run over so I got a shovel out of the car and convinced him to return to the side that the water was on. He wasn't happy with me and kept snapping his jaw.



I thought this was all very interesting. Much better than the stress of work and home right now. I put Eli down Friday and tomorrow it will be Sam. My animals have to be able to live in harmony here and my boys can't do that. They have been killing all my songbirds, and they are excellent at it. In the house they are tearing everything up. I can't have anything out on the hutch or the piano- they've either broken or destroyed anything left out. And I could have them for 20 years. I tried finding homes and had no luck. As I told you in the other post, it's the most humane thing I can do. It's not ok always being mad at them and yelling and throwing them out. That's not the defination of 'companion' animals. It's not fair to them either-they are just following their instinct. This is the really hard part of being a responsible animal owner. I wish knowing that made me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment