Friday, July 13, 2012

Finally - RAIN!

Friday - but not the end of my week. I still have to work tomorrow.
The clinic was very busy, just like every day this week! Emily took the day off so I was appointment. Plus I had to do the schedule for the kennel and I had to fill out all the boarding sheets for tomorrow. I have about 10 dogs coming in so it's quite a bit of paper work. I'm not going to bore you with the appointments, just say there were a LOT of them. 3 doctors unitl 12 and then 2. I did set up a urine culture for Jen, an 11 week old boxer puppy. First you have to set up the plates to see if you can grow an organism. The next day, if something grew on the plates, you set up a sensitivity plate to see what antibiotics the organism is sensitive to. I actually set up the sensitivity plate. Tomorrow we will read it to see what antibiotic will work for this boxer puppy.
This is the initial growth from the urine. Look at the yellow spots on the top one.


This shows the original culture and the sensitivity plate I set up. Each white dot is made of something
similar to cardstock with a different antibiotic impregnated in each. The doctor tells me which
antibiotics to try. The tubes on the right hold the circles of antibiotics.



I didn't have to stay too much past 5. Once home took a break and then  went out to put the horses in the bottom pasture. It had rained some with even a little lightning and I wanted to get the horses set for the night in case more storm came through. The nice thing was the great clouds and sky. 

This is actually how it looked with a perfect line down the clouds. The view is right over my head.


In between rain drops, we walked by the garden on the way back to the house. The zucchini had gone ballistic and I picked 5 zucchini! Plus a few cherry tomatoes. The rest of the garden is doing good but a little ways off from harvesting. This rain is fantastic for the corn and beans. The row crop corn growing around us was really starting to suffer from drought. In Iowa farmers were worried they would have no corn at all! Hopefully everyone's getting some of this much needed moisutre.

A quick visit to the chickens since I haven't been out there in a few days. My 2 baby chicks are outside now with the flock and I wanted to see how they were doing. They really surprised me - Piccadilly ran out to me when I walked into the hen coop. When I was bent down trying to pick them up (a broody hen kept attacking me when the chicks made noise), Piccadilly actually jumped up on my shoulder. I lifted Beetlejuice up to join her. As you can see, Beetlejuice liked this new activity. I guess I'll have to bring them a treat of hard boiled egg tomorrow -

To finish off, I have a picture of the broody hen setting on a mess of eggs hoping to hatch them. She has to set for 3 weeks. This is one of my footless hens - whose feet literally froze off one winter. She gets around ok though. No, I actually don't have a name for her. Listening to the rain off and on all evening. Lots of lightning again as well as a little pea sized hail. The poor llamas are getting wet but I'm not coaxing them in now!


1 comment:

  1. My, you have a lovely garden. Now I see where all the veggies you speak about come from.Also liked the pictures of the barn and clouds.

    ReplyDelete