Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 1


Sunday! Another nice day to sleep in - until 7 that is. Jacky and I went outside before 9 hoping to beat the heat (we didn't). The garden was 'comin' up weeds' and we needed to try to make a dent. Jacky got the big tiller started again and I started flagging the watermelons and cantaloupes because they were hard to see. Then I hand weeded the tomatoes, fed them, and put straw on them to keep them cool in this heat. Jacky got a couple more rows of corn and beans planted and put the soaker hose on. It got too hot to stay out so I came in and took a cool shower.
Clothes had to be washed and hung outside, birds fed again....I don't know, lots of this and that. Too hot to do too much even though it was just 90 today. Well, the clothes dried quickly anyway.
SueBee had splashed all the water out so I stood and gave her a bath and then filled up the trough. If you notice all the water on the ground, it's from SueBee splashing. It does give a lot of animals a drink though. I watched goldfinches, sparrows, grackles, butterflies, wasps, all come down for a drink while I was filling up the trough. When the mosquitoes aren't biting it can be quite pleasant!

Summer Azure Butterfly







Having a lot of trouble putting pictures in with captions. Sooooo above is a Summer Azure Butterfly and then a Thread Waisted Wasp, both of which I watched today in the mud by the trough. Let's go on, shall we?

Jacky and I drove to the clinic this afternoon. I had to give a dog some kaopectate - she had been eating walnuts before being boarded and had bloody diarrhea when she came - and also to take care of Tom's 2 kittens. They were too young to be alone while Tom and Linda went out of town. One day last week a raccoon almost ate one of the kittens. There wasn't room in the kennel so I had to put them up front where the kennel assistants couldn't go. On the way home I noticed that the wild lily "Turk's Cap" was blooming so Jacky stopped the truck so I could get a picture. It came out lovely - don't you think?



Sometimes the old cell phone can do a pretty good job!

Juju thought it was too hot too - and even the geese were panting! Yes they need their own swimming pool...


I've also forgotten to show my two new chicks. They were extras at the feed store so Emma brought them home one day. They're both hens and the white one is called "Piccadilly" and the black one is "Beetlejuice".
They were a  lot cuter when I first got them but I kept forgetting to take their picture. I'd like to take them outside but not sure they'd last very long. Too many dangers for momma-less chicks!



No comments:

Post a Comment