I thought I'd have a relaxing day at home instead of going to town to get shopping done. As I sat on the sofa (yes, but I had just finished shaving Gertie and I was taking a short break) someone drove up. Now, we don't get many visitors out here. Usually it's just friends of the kids. This time it was our neighbors from down the road. They had a load of hay they'd been trying to sell and they wondered if we needed any. After talking to them, I decided to buy it. They brought it right over and helped us put the hay in the barn even.
Luckily it was 4:30 when they left to bring the hay over so I had Jacky come home early, Anna got home and Emma was already here. 130 bales later, we were done in record time with all this help. Often it's just Jacky and I alone. Last time I even had to ask my kennel helper to come over and help since both girls were gone!
So much for my lazy day. I also made an observation about the birds outside. The juvenal starlings were outside making all kinds of noise, trying to get the adults to feed them my expensive bird food. As I watched, I saw these young birds get onto the oriole feeders and gobble up the grape jelly! I had never seen this in the adults but I know my jelly has been disappearing like crazy. Now I know, I'm feeding the starlings this too! Wish there was some way to keep the starlings away, short of shooting them!
Made stir-fry tonight. The chicken was caramelized - turned out wonderful. For the vegies, I picked fresh broccoli, baby eggplants, and zucchini. Added one spring onion from the garden and some store sugar snap peas, mushrooms and garlic. It really turned out good. I love getting food from the garden and eating it right away! I did freeze the rest of the broccoli. Can't eat it fast enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment