This gilt (female pig) has an umbilical hernia. Here's before, during, and after pictures.
I didn't show the close-up of the area...It was pretty gross. I was scrubbing the area so I let Brandi take the pic. Here's Mike doing surgery - and Dennis watching.
We had a scary moment - the pig started getting into respiratory trouble (yes, pigs do too). Mike had lost a pig a couple of weeks ago during surgery and was afraid this was deja vu. He called for a reversal drug to the anesthetic and I ran to get it. We were in time and the pig came through the surgery ok. Look better?
The rest of the day was spent mostly getting ready for the kindergarten class coming tomorrow. I am their tour guide each year. Mostly the kids just want to tell me about their own pets but I put a lot of work into pulling out neat xrays, plastic models, and cool icky stuff to look at. Parents who come along are often just as fascinated! Although explaining the purpose of the stallion mount can be extremely tricky...
On the plus side today - goldfinches are back! Luckily I put out the thistle feeders a few days ago. Don't have the hummingbird or oriole feeders out yet.
Jacky reminded me what it was like exactly a week ago....how quickly we forget!
Couldn't find the pigs head. Very interesting though.
ReplyDeleteHer head is on the left side of the first picture. It's in the shadow - she's not headless!
Delete