Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ice

Today started out with lots and lots of ice on the road from all the snow blowing across yesterday. You really had to pay attention driving. These pictures from the drive to work this morning give you an idea. I'd say there was at least a solid inch of ice on Co Rd 31 to Clarks Grove. It was also incredibly bumpy, which is certainly better than glare ice!

Mar 13 (3)

I stopped the car on a little bit of dry pavement to take this close up of the road:

Mar 13 (4)

The key to driving on ice, as all Minnesotans should know, is to go slow, don't accelerate, don't brake, and be very careful turning corners (in other words, go straight!). By noon, the roads were all melted and dry pavement! Very glad we had a sunny day today.
BTW here's the picture of Jen's truck from Monday. It wouldn't start today!
Mar 11 (3)

Slow at work today - appointment but there weren't very many. When your two doctors are called out on emergencies, all appointments are rescheduled. One emergency today was a cow OB - or rather a cow having trouble calving. This is getting pretty common this time of year and the doctors don't really like it when the temp is still pretty cold. The client called and said the calf looked too big. I called Mike, who had just ordered a salad for lunch and hadn't eaten yet. He went out to that one. Unfortunately the calf was already dead and the cow had to be euthanized. It happens - the cow was a feedlot cow and wasn't supposed to get bred anyway. Jen got called by Megan on Jen's lunch (same time) for a downed alpaca. Her truck wasn't working so we had to scramble to call Dennis on his day off to use his truck - Jen had to rush back to Dennis's to get his truck and back down south to Hayward. By then the alpaca was standing and acting fairly normal. Megan and I had to call all the early afternoon appointments to reschedule people. They were all pretty good about it.
I still didn't leave until 6:00 though because I had to redo a Thyroid test that had an error the first time. It was the last appointment of the day so I ran over time. Then a car drove up and the driver started knocking on the door and window. When I answered it, I found a client who had just run over her own dog. An elderly lab we know, he had been rolled by her SUV. We got him inside the clinic (he walked in himself) and I waited for Mike to come back since he had just arrived home in Glenville. Sometimes that's the way the day goes....
 Jacky is setting up for a farm show which starts tomorrow in Owatonna. He was able to take care of all the outside chores though - such a sweetheart! Tomorrow though I am going to have to come home at lunch for the dogs and then take care of the outside after work.
I took a picture of the two kittens and the two dachshunds tonight. They were waiting for me to come back to the sofa. I don't know where they though I would fit though!

Mar 13 Eli, Zoey, Uli, Sambo

1 comment:

  1. I finally caught up on your blogs. You started writing more often. Very good, Lori! I enjoy reading your ablogs.

    ReplyDelete