Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Appointment Day

Well, I know I haven't checked in in a while. We've had a snowstorm as well as an extremely full boarding kennel with no one to take care of them. It just means lots of hours spent at the clinic the last few days.
The sno.w ( about 8 inches?) is really quite lovely. Jacky has had fun pushing snow around with his plow and has made it easy to get around, and out, for me. Thank you! I can still remember the years we didn't have a plow....it was awful!
One good think about the snow, it seems to have brought the deer out. I know, you people who live in the suburbs often see more deer than we who live in the country! Part of the problem is the lack of cover in the middle of the corn fields. Although that also provides food! The other is the hunting that goes on here every fall. The suburbs are safer for deer because of the no hunting around people policy. Anyway, I watched seven deer on the way to work this morning ( me, not the deer) and 5 or so on the way home. I believe it was the same herd, going out to eat this morning and going back to their safe night spot this afternoon.


I came across this picture that I wanted to share. Our snow isn't that deep - good thing!!!


Ok, better get to work. I got to open up today. Yea! By 7:40 I was tired of answering the phone and half the clinic workers were there. I felt I had been at work two hours already. Holly came back today from Florida so that helps a lot. She usually is up at the front desk answering the phone and when she's gone, it can be hard for me to get my other work done.
Appointments today included a springer spaniel that got 'poisoned' by his owner. He was given a bath with a flea shampoo but the owner used a half a bottle (of strong flea control) and then didn't rinse it off with clean water. The poor dog became toxic and couldn't even stand. When I came back from lunch I immediately had to bath the dog in an allergen shampoo and rinse him well. His heart was pounding and making his whole sides throb. I'd never seen anything like it. Diarrhea made him stink and then I made him wet.... Oh well. Duke was doing a little better when I left. Mike had put a catheter in to give him fluids all night.


There were also nails to trim, shots to give, a dachshund with the same perianal tumor that Toby had. "Coco" will have surgery on that tomorrow. I had to tell Mike he couldn't keep any more appointments for surgery because I had no more kennels to put them in! Megan had made a surgery appointment for 'Daisy'. When I found out it was a Great Dane, I had to scramble to find a kennel to put her in (she only fits in the extra large kennel and I had one boarder in that kennel with two dogs sharing it tomorrow (different owner, different dogs). I know people just don't think of that when clients call to schedule surgeries - even though I warned everyone I had no empty kennels. Daisy has a place to sleep tonight and tomorrow...we'll deal with it tomorrow!

We see more and more Great Danes with natural ears. they look like a totally different breed - and I like it! I really don't like the ear cropping practice - and there's no reason to do it other than cosmetic..

Had to turn down client Joel Busch's request to board his dogs tomorrow. His one dog was diagnosed with Giardia yesterday which is a bacterial infection that causes bloody diarrhea. I didn't know it when he first called so I took the reservation. Then Emily told me about the Giardia and  Mike told me no, the whole kennel would be exposed. So I had to call Joel and apologize and tell him I couldn't help him. I always hated talking to people on the phone and now I have to do it all the time!!!! (I still hate it) The bad thing was they were going to a family funeral and all his family would also be at the funeral and couldn't watch the dogs. I so want to help people like this, but sometimes I just can't. Georgia Kalis gave me a gift card for taking care of her dog Hunter and Mike gave me a gift card for working all weekend in the kennel and clinic. I guess some people do notice - that helps a lot. Mavis will be coming to stay for a few days while her father has his bladder removed from cancer. Glad I can help the family a tiny bit.

Giardia

What the artist sees...

What I see under the microscope except its moving really fast!!!

I better close up for now. Tomorrow I have to be there at 7:00 again. I have two dog spays ( Daisy and Winnie, a pekenese mix, the dachshund neuter and injection with Regression into the tumors, and a cat declaw, neuter. Also lots of boarding stuff, which will continue until Monday... Night!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting as usual, Lori. You have busy days. Nice to get gift cards for your extra work.

    ReplyDelete