Another busy day, which is the norm now. Megan did not feel well, had a very bad sore throat so she actually took the afternoon off. I had one surgery - a pug named "Folgers" to be neutered. He was a sweet dog, but already overweight at 8 months old. He also had one nail on each front foot that had grown and curled all the way around. It was a wonder the nails had not punctured the pad. I go those trimmed right up. Mike got this surgery done by 9:00 which left the rest of the day to get other things done.
Next I tried to get the heartworm tests done. We had 89 from the vaccination clinic on Saturday and, with Pam gone, I took over running the tests. We do what is called the well tests. Here I am taking a sample of the blood serum after I have spun the blood. It looks awkward because I am doing it with one hand while I take the picture with the other!
Each sample of serum is pipetted into a well. The serum differs in color and clarity according to the diet of the dog. I have to keep track of each sample so I know what dog it comes from! I can do 22 tests at a time with an additional 2 wells set aside for control.
There's quite a few steps with adding this, and rinsing out that...all timed 5 minutes apart so I can't get too far away once I start. This blue color is my favorite part - it's so pretty!
When all done, a positive heartworm will be this blue color and negative are all clear. I've had one postive so far but I still have 35 samples to run yet. This is my whole set up:
Then I also took pictures of preparing an ear cytology. Well, it's actually not of the ear but of the wax and dirt inside the ear. Mike took a swab from a dogs ear and I spread it on a slide. Then I 'fix' it using heat. I have to be careful of my fingers here!
Then I stain it. I use three different steps here too. The first one is to 'fix' the slide. The second one stains it, then the third one 'fixes' the stain. Whew! No timing here but dipping 5 times and rinsing with distilled water between each color.
Here is a stained slide next to an unstained slide -
Then I look under the microscope. I'm looking to see if it's a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. This will tell the vet which medicine to send home with the dog.
| Yeast |
Had a lunch and learn with a sales rep for a blood chemistry machine. I don't know if we'll buy it but he bought us pizza! After lunch and the above lab work, I had to mix up vaccine for 6 week old pigs. I haven't done it in a while so it was nice to get to do it again. With Pam gone, we will all get to mix vaccine now.
Finally home again. And guess what I saw at the feeder shortly after getting inside - a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak!!! I love these birds. I hope he stays for a while!
Very interesting, Lori! Love that bird, first time I saw one was in Ct. when we were looking at houses, by feeder by kitchen sink. He sold us that house for sure!!!!
ReplyDelete