Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday April 23

Today did not start out well. I decided to take Casey in because she had not been eating well and had a discharge. I was afraid it was 'pyometra' which means an infected uterus. It's mostly older unspayed females that get it, and it is serious. Casey's heat cycles were never normal but I put off spaying her because I was concerned about other health problems. Well, it turned out I was right. Casey did have a pyometra but she also had raspy lungs. Mike thought it could be tumors or congestion and thought she would not be a good surgery candidate. Casey was 15 1/2, deaf, couldn't see well, very arthritic, and, Mike and I thought, probably had tumors inside her. So I made the difficult decision to put her down. I will have her cremated and Aren will take her ashes up north to some beautiful place.

The rest of the day was quite busy. We have lost another tech and will have to figure out who does what when now! I was appointment tech so had quite a bit to do. Mike had a pig surgery, a hernia to repair on a show pig.

 

Here he is waking up in a dog crate.

The pig was in the dog crate because we had 6 baby goats in the stall. They were quite young, and of course adorable! They were there to have their horn buds burned off. I had sold our disbudder to the clinic when we got rid of all our goats. But it's really nice to work on goat kids every year. I do miss them!

One last picture of sweet Casey. We will miss you!

 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about Casey! Like Aren wrote, she had a great life. Also liked the pictures of the goats. Thanks for writing the blog again.

    ReplyDelete