Monday, December 30, 2013

Snow!

Snowy Monday. This is the start of another holiday week. We had one doctor taking vacation in Montana so we were down to two. Tom went out on a pig herd check early on and Mike got to stay at the clinic. His truck battery kept dying anyway so he had to get that fixed.

I was busy with kennel stuff. Quite a few dogs went home today. We were pretty full so I also had to keep cleaning kennels for surgery dogs coming in tonight. The snow kept falling and with a temp of 2 degrees, no dog really wanted to stay outside. I also have been looking for another kennel worker. I had tried to get hold of a boy I interviewed in Oct but his phone didn't let me leave a message. And it turns out he hadn't given me his correct email so my message to him didn't get there either. Fortunately his mother happened to come in for an appointment wih two new malamute puppies. This boy's family raises and trains Malamutes and Huskys to help veterans when they come home for war. Quite a special project! As it turns out the boy has started wrestling and isn't available during the week or Saturday mornings. That doesn't leave much for me to work with...

Had to bring Pibb in to the vet. Jacky found him with a badly skinned tail at the base. I was mostly worried about the terribly cold temps, thinking his tail, without protection, might actually freeze. Mike just had me start him on antibiotics and I'm keeping him inside the house now, for at least a couple of weeks. Right now he's in a crate in the mud room but I noticed his drinking water is almost frozen so he might have to come actually inside the house! He absolutely hates his meds by the way. It should be a fun week trying to get them into him.

Had a weird story today. A man came in with an 11 month old Shih Tzu. He needed his dog checked out. It turns out this dog was hit by a car two weeks ago. The family thought the dog had died - he had blood coming out of his nose and mouth and was not moving. The owner put the body next to his shed in the back yard. Two weeks later, which ended up being last Friday, the dog wandered up to the house! They have no idea what happened to the dog during that time, only said they had a shed there where they fed cats. Hmmm. The dog has a broken leg and may need to have it amputated, but other than that seems ok! It reminds me of the rooster I thought I had killed, that walked back to the house after a week in the pit.

Teddi has a loose tooth. It may explain why he's been out of sorts lately. May have to take him in tomorrow. Bunni had to have more stuffing put in her cast, she's worked it all out running like a maniac everywhere.

Decided to cancel puppy class. I'm glad I did, the roads weren't so hot going home. But now I have trouble fitting two more classes in....I start yoga next Monday night. Problem is, I'm already seeing lots of puppies coming in and people are starting to ask about classes. I want to help them get off to the right start. Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment