Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Preserving Time

Today, my one and only day off, was spent putting food up. The zucchini plants have started producing, and have taken off! I pick about 6 every other day and I don't like them to go to waste, but , well, it's zucchini and there's always more coming along. So today I dehydrated zucchini chips. Very simple, slice them using your Kitchen -Aid attachment, toss with olive oil and sea salt, and dehydrate for 5-10 hours. They are turning out pretty good but they absorb moisture in the air very quickly so they don't stay crisp.

I also cut up a Sirloin Tip roast and marinated the strips in the seasonings overnight. I hope to start dehydrating the jerky tomorrow. Then there was Inside Out Ravioli for lunch.

Picked my first Roma tomatoes today, although the Roma plants don't look that good. I know I have grasshoppers bult not sure why those tomatoes aren't looking good. I hope my coworkers have extra tomatoes so I can make tomato sauce and can it. Also, got an email telling me my next and last batch of peaches will arrive August 22. Those are destined to be made into pie filling and canned since there's no room in my freezer!

Fed the wild birds, including all those nasty starlings and sparrows. My trap is set up but I haven't caught anything sine the Brown Thrasher. I'm only putting out millet right now since it's supposed to be non attractive to native birds. I may have to move the trap though, the sparrows don't go on the west side of the house much.. Also trying a new seed mix for woodpeckers, jays, grosbeaks,nuthatches...and I hung the old bird bath in the tree and filled it instead with this seed. I hope the broad flat base will attract more cardinals and grosbeaks. We'll see. The mix also has dried fruit. I'm excited for what birds might like it.

Tomorrow I must get the rest of the August schedule done for work. Now that John quit, I'm afraid I may end up doing a few weekend shifts. No fun, especially when you work during the week as well. No surgeries set for Thursday either since we only have one doctor. Dennis is having fun in Montana and I don't know which doctor is working. I myself can't wait until our Florida trip!

1 comment:

  1. Now I know why I didn't get a phone call yesterday. You are too busy. My, sounds like the garden is over flowing now. And More peaches? Wow!! Good Blog, as usual!!

    ReplyDelete