Saturday, July 6, 2013

Workin' Hard

Well, it's Saturday when most people get to continue their holiday fun.I guess we aren't most people then. I had to work at the clinic - opened up at 7 although there were clients outside the door before then with their boat in the parking lot (they were dropping their dog off for boarding). It was crazy busy from then until 11:45 - just 15 minutes before we had to close. But I had a boarding dog with an eye issue that Jen had to look at. Turns out the vet these people use had done surgery on the dog's eye - for 'cherry eye'. He had left a suture (stitch) in that was rubbing on the eye's cornea and had actually started an ulcer on that eye. So we had to get hold of the owner for permission, knock the dog out, and remove the suture. The dog will be SOOO much more comfortable. Can you imagine having something in your eye, irritating you constantly? Jen asked me to stay until the dog was awake enough to be out of danger. Considering that the boarding kennel was full, I had plenty to do while I waited.



While I was working, Jacky was working too - in the hayfield. He raked and baled the neighbors 2 acres. So I hurried home to help put them in the barn since rain was in the forecast for tonight. 91 degrees, and it's hot. Seems like it's always in the 90's when you're trying to put hay up! I had to take several breaks since I was directly in the sun. I wore a long sleeved shirt too because my arms got all scratched up earlier in the week with our other hay. Jacky did most of the work and we put up 94 more bales.


Found this little guy on the barn floor. No, he didn't make it, but I had never seen so young a bat (except on TV) - hairless and blind still. When Jacky was up in the hay loft, he had to move 2 bats to a safer area! We actually have small piles of bat guano in the hay loft and I should shovel it out and put on the garden, it's supposed to be excellent fertilizer. This family loves bats (except that one in the bedroom last winter...). We really enjoy watching them at dusk eating all the bugs!





Cooled off in the air conditioning until I had to go to Amy's to take care of her farm. She went to Colorado Springs with her family. What's left behind is 3 ponies, 1 dog, several cats. Not nearly as many animals as I have! But her ponies have to be inside the barn at night and the dog is in the house so it means twice a day visits.
After another cool off inside, I went out and filled up all the bird feeders and picked more sour cherries before it got completely dark. The robins have been in the tree again, and mostly pooping it looks like! My beautiful red cherries are streaked with white. I did find some good ones and I'm soaking them right now, just in case.
Flowers are looking good. Have to take pictures to remember how pretty they look!



1 comment:

  1. Well, I finally read this last blog. Good, as usual!! Just went out and cut the pansies as it got too hot and they don't last then. Then watered everything. I have snaps, but the weeds are so bad and vines on everything. Never saw it so bad. Sounds like it will be a hot week ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete