Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday

Happy Birthday Maggie! To a wonderful daughter-in-law!

Today was busy busy. But it started out well. On the way too work I saw a herd of deer outlined against the sky. About 20 deer by the turkey trees. I haven't seen this many deer there in quite a few years. Not sure what that means - but I'm glad to see them back. A buck was keeping all those does company too.



My deer don't have all those lovely trees to stand in front of. My deer stand on a wind blown corn field - like this:



A busy day at the clinic. I helped Tom most of the day - with appointments, with a drop off sick dog, with a surgery, with horses.. it seemed to be a never ending day. One appointment ended up staying as a surgery - an eye enucleation (or eye removal). That poor barn cat was in rough shape. Must have gotten into a fight and had his eye punctured. The owner didn't really want to spend $500 on a barn cat, but what do you do?  It was surgery or put the cat down.



This is really what it looked like!! Ick!!! Poor "Fuzz" also had extremely bad ear mites, as well as diarrhea from campylobactor which caused his rectum to partially prolapse (come out). Poor thing. And he was the owners 'favorite' barn cat! What do the other cats look like???

Helped Mike with an appointment for a possible bloated dog. Poor Ginger, a buff cocker spaniel who had had her eye removed years ago. The digital x ray that we took showed a huge abdominal tumor. It was already pressing on her stomach (she didn't want to eat much any more) and her diaphram (had trouble breathing). The owner was understandably upset - was in the middle of selling her house and buying a new house in Montevideo. And now she'll have to put her dog down too...



Another sad appointment was the one where two family dogs were euthanized at the same time. None of us are quite sure why but I believe both dogs grew up together - were about 13 years old, and both had health problems. The family did not want one to go without the other since they were always together. The family left the room and Tom and I put them both down, then called the family back in to say their good byes. It sure isn't easy to help with these. Later in the day there was a 'put to sleep' - a 17 year old dachshund. I asked Megan to help with that one because it was a dachshund. I was helping with another doctor at the time too. Yes, we cry sometimes too.

On to a happier note - tonight for the first time in months and months, I heard an owl when I called the dogs in at 6. He was in the bottom pasture - too dark of course to see and I don't know my owls that well to know which one it was. Maybe a barred owl? I love owls!

1 comment:

  1. I finally came back to your blog. Really good, Lori! You have time to write again. Not really, right?

    ReplyDelete