What a week. Still have Friday and Saturday to go . Hope I make it. People don't tell you that one of the most exhausting jobs at a vet clinic is dealing with the clients. Yesterday was dealing with a woman who bought a golden retriever puppy about 9 weeks ago. Paid $1200. Anyway, the puppy has had diarrhea ever since she bought it. She's never brought the dog in but brings in fecal samples. We've diagnosed giardia and campylobator ( I know, but I'm not explaining them right now). Every medicine we've went home has not gotten rid of the problem. She's frustrated, and has a daughter with Crohn's disease so she's very careful about the meds and such - people can get campy, especially with compromised immune systems. The puppy acts fine but is not 'right'. Yesterday I had two 30 minute conversations about her latest fecal she brought in, the meds, a change in food suggestion....and finally do I think this all should be covered under the health guarantee? This is all fine and good but there's other things I need to be doing! As far as being appointment tech yesterday, I think I helped with only 2 out of maybe 8 or 9 because of phone calls, helping with a surgery to remove a lump and then giving a dental to the same dog (started as an appointment), giving fluids to a dehydrated cat, running blood work on a sick dog....Whew! I was sooo tired when I got home.
Today was a remake of yesterday. Instead of the diarrhea puppy calls, I had a dental on a dachshund whose owner lives in Rochester. She called twice to check on the dog, then came early and questioned EVERYTHING! I mean questioned the charges, questioned the antibiotics prescribed, questioned the pain meds prescribed...Questions on dog behavior and dog antidepressants....the list goes on and on and on.
She started with Holly and then on to me. She was very nice about it but since her divorce 2 years ago, the dog hasn't been the same. Well, all the behaviors she was describing sounded EXACTLY like typical dachshund behavior. And I should know what that is! Nothing I said made any difference. I'll probably be getting at least one phone call from her tomorrow...Oh Joy.
One spay - a Yorkie mix spoiled rotten - and 6 baby teeth that had to be pulled at the same time. One dental on the dachshund who had 5 teeth pulled - including 2 molars. Tomorrow looks like a German Shepherd spay. She's quite lovely - all white - and her name is "Aoiffe". I asked and it's pronounced "eefa" and is Irish. Cool name! Also a lump removal.
Cool weather has come today. I picked the last tomatoes yesterday. Not enough to can (thank goodness - I canned 7 pints Tuesday) but there's more potatoes to be dug. We're laying them on the floor of the garage. I have a picture but I'm too tired to go fetch my camera and transfer the pics. Another time, after there's more collected. The blue one are pretty cool!
Better go to bed. I'm surgery tomorrow too since Megan is on vacation. Pam has to be appointment again because Emily is on vacation also. Also doing kennels for the 3rd time in a row. Not enough dogs to have Tony or Gloria out. In fact tonight there's no boarders! MEA is coming up soon so I hope things will pick up. Night!
No comments:
Post a Comment