Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday Nov 13

Appointment day today. First I start out by doing kennels. Emily had already put outside her 4 Gehring dogs. They are all Miniature Schnauzers and my two are related to them. They were all here for a teeth cleaning. Glad it wasn't my day - those mouths are a bear. And to have to do all 4 in one day...whew!

Not many dogs boarding. Charlie, a bichon mix that belongs to Tony's sister. They are on a cruise that includes a trip to Spain! Then there's Silas, a gorgeous high energy husky. His biggest problem is his owner forget to pick him up. He has stayed over a week past his pickup date! So, I will put his pickup date as next Monday although he's supposed to go home Saturday. My cute dachshund poodle mix was here too - Emily has adopted him. His new name is "Rigby". Noisy little boy though. And last was "Clark" . I named him Monday, a new Humane Society dog picked up outside of Clark's Grove and dropped off with us. He's a Rottweiler Pitbull mix that has a huge wide head. He's a pretty nice dog. Unneutered of course. We will be watching for signs of aggression. Sometimes it takes a few days to show up. He really likes me and tries to play with me.

Another surgery dog for Emily was a little dachshund. It's her name though that will have you giggling. Her name is..."Foot and a Half"! I guess that's how long she was when they brought her home. I really wonder what they call her though.

Mike's daughters dog " Lucy" , a Golden Retriever puppy, survived her second surgery. She was spayed last Wednesday and was being boarded with us. Got really sick Sunday, on death's door. On Monday, Mike discovered a stick stuck against the roof of her mouth , between her teeth. It had gotten infected and, in 2 or 3 days, almost killed the dog! The infection went systemic and today was the first day she started looking better.

"Reno" came in yesterday after eating rat poison. He collapsed at home this morning and they brought him back in. Also the empty bucket of rat poison " Tom Cat ". I guess it's the worst poison because it affects the Central Nervous System. It also swells the brain. Jen dosed him with charcoal but it doesn't look good.

Kind of a messy day in appointments. One chihuahua mix that had been a rescue dog, absolutely panicked when we trimmed his nails. "Racer" got so upset, he loosened bowels and bladder and anal glands all over. He was muzzled too as he kept trying to bite us. Unknown to these dogs though, we don't often let go, no matter what. I could have used a better clean up though.

And then Megan gave me a mammary tumor they had taken off Foot and a Half. I cut it open to do a tissue smear and it was full of liquid. It splattered all over me....of course.

A Lunch and Learn with Merial rep got me a Pour House Club Sandwich - yum! And the rep had just gotten back from Tanzania and had her pictures along on her iPad. Soooo that's what I looked at throughout the meeting. Now I know where I want to go next!

Lots of surgeries came in for tomorrow. 3 black cat brothers to be neutered, 1 Pitbull to be spayed, 1 Pitbull to have a lump removed and to be spayed, and Jill's lab "Harvey" for a teeth clean. I will be a tired puppy tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment