Before I left though I had to hand walk my new dog "Zoey". She's a miniature dachshund who's been neglected after a divorce. She's about 3 years old and looks just like Uli - except trim where Uli's become a tub. She's also quite a sweet girl - no biter this time! Hurray! The reason she was given up is that she kept pottying on the floor. Jill and I suspected that no one paid attention to her signs and so she had to go inside. Also they wouldn't clean up after her and she was spending her life in a crate. She worked out well when I got her home...a little running around to get away from all the curious noses but she never growled or snapped. Thought the kittens were the best thing ever and it was quite fun watching them take turns chasing each other.
Isn't she cute in Magic's sweater? She was awfully cold today!
Ok, back to work....Mike was the vet to we were kept consistently busy as usual. Mostly vaccinations, ear trouble and 1 ACL recheck for a dog that lives in the cities. The owner saved a lot of money by driving down to Mike to have the surgery done. I mean like thousands of dollars! The husband wanted to put the dog down because it was too expensive. As it was the dog had stretched the ACL repair and Mike wasn't pleased. Told owner to give it another month before they try to repair the other knee. Too bad the dog was such a hyper thing.
The other thing I had to do at work was read a sensitivity. That's where we take a culture we have grown from tissue, milk or blood, and put the organism on an agar plate. We put little paper discs that contain different antibiotics on top of the growth, incubate it overnight, and read the sensitivity the next day. That's the part I did this morning. I have to measure and compare numbers to find out which antibiotics will work on the organisms.
The discs have antibiotics such as Amoxicillin, Penicillin, Trimeth Sulfa, Nuflor....This picure shows all discs have as effect on the organisms but that usually isn't the case. I take a small ruler and measure the radius of the clear part and multiply by 2 for the diameter. Then I compare on a chart that gives me resistance or susceptible numbers.
This is another test I checked. If the organism is streptococcus (responsible for strep throat in people) the tube of a agar will turn black. This last tube is a liquid that, if positive for strep, will be clear, not cloudy.
Pretty neat, huh? I like to do this lab work. Mike said this was from a pig producer who was losing lots of pigs. The pigs' skin on the chest was getting edema (fluid inside) and turning purple (from blood under the skin). He said it was the nastiest case of strep he had ever seen.
Took the afternoon off since it was sooooo cold. The puppies and I are snuggled under the blankets, I've had my hot tea and a nap. Unfortunately I now have to hand walk that stinker dachshund. I say that because this afternoon I let her out without the flexi leash on, thinking it was so cold that she'd potty and run back inside. Right....she liked her hand-me-down purple sweater and thought she'd do some exploring of this neat place. I hurriedly threw on my boots and jacket and rushed out (carefully on the ice!) and caught up with her by the geese. I just was not looking forward to chasing a mini dachshund in a purple sweater through the county in the dark!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment