Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday the 15th


What a busy busy day. I haven't written for a while because it's been slow. Well, today tried to make up for it. Normally I am appointment on Wednesday so I need to be ready for our first  one at 8:00. Unfortunately I also have to do kennels in the morning (although I'm training Tony right now). Usually that's not a problem but today, again, the kennel is almost full as well as having multiple surgery dogs to take out.
Here's a rundown of the dogs; Shih Tzu brothers Swiffer and Bruno, and Yorkie siblings to them Buttons and Dakota, Rex the chow mix, Emmit the Brittany Spaniel, Sophie Jo the Brittany Spaniel, Lilly the Cairn Terrier, Molly the Cocker Spaniel, Maj the English Setter, Charlie the Terrier Mix. That's the boarders - oh yes, and Gracie the cat. Then there was Abby the German Shepherd that I had to hand walk because she was so nervous and growled at me when I went to get her, Kia the Australian Shepherd who had a swelling where a tumor had been removed, Scout the yellow lab there to be spayed, Zoe the black lab with ascites (fluid in the abdomen to be drained off), and finally Jethro the Saint Bernard to be neutered.Oops, and Emmy the Miniature Poodle for a dental.
All those dogs (and one cat) I was responsible for this morning. Tony and I worked together to get them all outside, kennels cleaned, new water, food, dogs back in. It took about 2 1/2 hours which was really pretty good. Almost all of the towels and blankets were dirty so laundry was a non stop chore all day (and I didn't really make a dint). Meanwhile, Emily (the surgery tech for the day) had started her first surgery - helping Mike with the St. Bernard neuter. I helped Jen sedate the miniature poodle that came in this morning for a dental. By then Emily was done and ready to do the dental. Since there were no appointments scheduled, Jen wanted to start the dog spay. I helped her give a pre-med shot (it relaxes the dog and causes them to vomit anything in their stomach).
After a bit I brought the wobbling lab to the surgery suite and Jen asked if I wanted to put the catheter in. Certainly I said yes, as the doctors much prefer you to try at least. I have done it before, not always successfully. However today it worked! First you shave a spot on the leg, then insert a catheter needle into the vein at that shaved spot. If you get it in, the catheter must then be taped so it stays in the vein. Once there, you flush the needle with saline solution, then inject the anesthesia in. Once the dog is limp, you have to put the endotrachial tube down the throat and attach it to the oxygen/isoflourine machine. Where was the doctor you ask? Jen was doing what I usually do - which is hold the dog. If you have ever had catheters put in for surgery, you know how delicate the procedure can be. But it's wonderful when things go smoothly.


Of course, it's a lot easier to do a Lab then do a Yorkie! I'll let the doc do the tiny dogs...
Eventually it was time for lunch. No surprises there today but when I got done I had to help Mike take fluid off the Lab with ascites. First Mike tried to get her on the table (with my help). However Zoe kept giving him the eye and, when he reached to try to pick her up, she snapped at him. I had been keeping a close eye on her and had her head so there was no bloodshed. She didn't mean it - may have though if he had kept pushing. With a muzzle now on, we got Zoe on the table and eventually sedated. Then Mike shaved an area on her stomach and inserted a needle to drain the fluid. Ascites can be caused by a failing heart, or other failing organ, or a tumor (cancer). Supposedly this dog was only 4 years old but she was in very bad shape. She was extremely thin - scarecrow thin - except for the huge swelling of her abdomen. We could drain the fluid off but eventually it will be back. While the fluid drained, the dog had to be kept still. That took about an hour. Eventually I had to trade off with Emily as an appointment actually came and I had to help Mike.
                                                                         
Ascites in dogs

 Appointments were vaccinations, checking missing teeth  and spot on the toe, remove staples from 
a healing surgery (you use actual staple removers). In between appointments I had to put up the things UPS delivered - some of which needed to be refrigerated - as well as mark them off tn the order book. Also a pig producer came in wanting rope kits. These are kits Tom designed where pieces of rope hang in the pig pens for the pigs to 'chew' on. The ropes are then collected and saliva on the ropes is squeezed off into tubes, This saliva is then sent to the University of MN to be tested for various pig diseases such as PRRS. It's all kind of icky but also simple enough to be kind of cool! Anyway, Tom was out of town and there were no kits made up but one. So Beth and I quickly got 6 kits together - I cut the rope pieces with an exacto knife. This is why you try to have an inventory of everything you can think of - and still someone will want what you haven't got ready.
Pig

I also had a lot of blood chemistry to do - all on the same dog.  There was the ALT and CREA, LYTES, CBC. And then the two snap tests - Thyroid (T4), and Cortisol. I love doing blood work but weeks can go by before I get to do much. Also had to check the glucose with an alpha-trak, and make a blood smear slide for Mike to look at. Not much else I could actually do with that blood! Of course, once you've trained on the equipment, it's not really a big deal. But I enjoy it.
Lastly I had to check my surgeries in for tomorrow. These clients brought in their 3 pugs for dentals. Gidget, Otis, and Princess are all adorable pugs. I went over the consent form with the owner and took the 3 dogs back. I guess the Boxer will show up in the morning - for a tumor removal.
By the Way - looking at a rabies vaccination certificate for a boarding dog, I noticed the vet clinic she had gone to was called "Pol Veterinary Services". Dr. Jan Pol, who signed the certificate, has a Cable show on the TV - "The Amazing World of Dr. Pol" on National Geographic Wild. The show is about a mixed animal practice vet in Michigan. Cool! I'm taking care of a dog who used to go to him!
Well, better get to bed. It's up at 5:15 tomorrow top get to work on time. I hope Tony is ready to take over!




No comments:

Post a Comment