Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Tuesday

It's pointless to say another busy day. Take it as a sure thing in the month of April and May. I was appointment but ended up spending most of my day pouring and mixing pig vaccine. Not very exciting! But there were a few things that were interesting. Unfortunately it was a bad day for a couple of pet owners who found out their pets had an untreatable condition. The first one was a second opinion on a cat "Tucker". After doing bloodwork, Mike's diagnosis was kidney failure. He sent the cat home with a prescription food to try to prolong Tucker's life. But there is no cure. The cat could have just weeks to live until his life becomes too unpleasant. But, unlike with human medicine, the patient has no idea when we break the news. But the owners often leave with tears flowing down their faces (men and women alike), often clutching their pet with desperate arms, trying to keep them safe.
Later on we had to tell the same type of news to a German Shepherd owner. She was a beautiful girl but was in obvious pain. She had mammary tumors ( found in unspayed females) that were probably malignant. But the more worrisome thing was a swollen front shoulder/leg. It was so painful, she couldn't put weight on it. Dennis believed it to be more of the cancer - probable bone cancer. He sent home some pain and anti-inflammatories but told the owner she might have only days before the pain is too great. That's when the kindest thing to do is to euthanize them. We all wish we could do the same for suffering people! The look in the Shepherd's eyes was unmistakable. Through the whole exam she just laid on the floor and looked off into space panting. It is a look you don't soon forget - like they are focused inward and just surviving.
Let's go on to happier things. We had RABBITS as an appointment! Sick rabbits - or rather rabbits losing their hair. This one's name is "Dale" and the other ones are "Chip" (cute, huh?), and Timothy (like the hay).


Mike checked some of the rabbit's hair under the microscope and diagnosed lice. The cure is easy - oral Ivermectin. But the rabbit's hair coat will not be ready for the rabbit show in two weeks!


This is what we actually saw on the rabbit above.


You know how I love creepy crawlies!

Today was also the Horse Vaccination Clinic. I didn't get to help this year, it was Megan's turn, but I took some pictures throught the window:



I have to say though, my favorite horses are the Norweigen Fjord Horses that cpome every year. I got a peak of them today but coul;dn't get a picture. Here's one from the web though -


But this is what I saw most of the day: pig vaccines! yay.


Well, at least I was inside where it was warmer! It was a might cool in the barn and had snowed just a couple of hours before we started. I bet Megan was regretting her decision to volunteer to work the Horse Clinic! Heh heh heh.


No comments:

Post a Comment